Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nwhawk

Updated Okoboji/Spirit Report?

43 posts in this topic

Alright guys, I'm coming home from school for the weekend and the ole man and I are planning on hitting the ice on Saturday. I know via all the posts/word of mouth spirit has been good. Any locations in particular without giving away your honey hole? Also, any good word on boji? Thanks in advance!!

We had the best luck fishing perch out in the main basin of Spirit last weekend tried in front of Templar Sunday for a couple hours and did ok but nowhere near the number of fish. There have been a few good reports coming out of Angler's as of late but the water is stained and the fish are biting so lightly they barely move a spring so a camera is almost needed to detect the light biting gills.

West has been a little touchy as of late. There are still some fish holding in Little Miller's but they are very smart and hard to catch. The walleye and perch bite has been fair at best on Miller's aswell. There are still a number of people fishing in front of the boat ramp and out on the reef on Emerson's, but I haven't heard any reports from there lately. There have also been a number of people fishing Smith's but I haven't heard and reports from there either.

My best advice for fishing West right now is to think outside the box and hit spots that don't traditionally see heavy pressure and try baits that might be a little bit nontraditional for the area.

Thinking I know who this is, but could be wrong.

Told your "ole man" yesterday that for a drink I'd take you guys to the waypoint where we caught so many at last weekend grin No, there's a bunch of perch everywhere out there, but the trick is finding a spot that has some of the true jumbos. Quality of fish out in the basin definitely seemed better than other places, and the number of fish that were out there was entertaining. Hope to see you this weekend.

MR. O you guessed right! I think we're planning on saturday morning, so hopefully you and the little man are planning on heading up too!

Yeah, we'll be there. Gotta be someone to pull that fancy Toyota out when your dad gets stuck laugh

See you Saturday.

There were shacks all over the lake last weekend, including a cluster by the overflow access, as well as another cluster near Templar.

have you heard if their catching any size. Im caching alot of small ones. just wondering if its like that all over the lake.

A guy I know fished around Templar last Saturday and had about 15 nice sized fish to clean at the end of the day. I think you're going to catch a bunch of small ones no matter where you are on the lake, but in certain places there are more nice fish than others...at least it seems that way. From what I've experienced and heard, there might be a few more nice fish out in the basin. We had several between 11 and 13 last weekend and weren't within 200 yards of another shack for most of the day. Good luck out there...

If things go according to the current plan, we'll be out most of the day on Saturday. I'd love to be on the lake when the sun is coming up, but we'll see how soon I can get my son up and moving. I'm sure we'll move around some, but plan to spend much of the day out in the main lake basin. Gray F150 with a blue Fish Trap for a portable. Stop and say hi if you're in the area.

I'll be there somewhere as well, recent reports have been a little more promising than they were last weekend. I'll just have to see how accurate they are before I can pass them on.

I'll be there somewhere as well, recent reports have been a little more promising than they were last weekend. I'll just have to see how accurate they are before I can pass them on.

NWBuck way to get a kid into the great sport of Ice Fishing!!!

Hope he Jigs A Whopper!!!

Trav was out today where we were Sun PP and about the same results, saw some nice ones but also hordes of small perch attacking everything in sight.

Esox...Try bigger lures!!! thats what we do on Lake Erie... Red works best

our gills are conditioned, they don't even slow down to look. PP is the gill master and even he's struggeling to get the big boys to eat. Gin clear water and pressured, they have seen every offering there is by now and factor in the time of year makes for tough catching gills. Things may pick up with this warm spell I hope if not I'll get trying.

hay guys I and honda rider are heading up to storm lake tomorrow well try fishing in the afternoon hope to find some fish up there if any body has some info that would help that would be great

EM FYI the big ones we were eating Thursday including one true 10. This is coming from a reliable source. The only thing I can say is it was a live bait bite and it's a bait you can't buy in the lakes area.

Got a 12" and a few between 9-11 today before the wind started howling and a minor flasher problem.

Cleaned 16 today...mostly from the north end. A couple of small ones that swallowed a minnow head were between 8.5 and 9, and most of the rest in the 9.5 to 10 range. Had 7 that were between 10 and 12. Quality seemed better up north, but not the number of fish we were seeing out in the basin. With rain and thunderstorms in the forecast, I won't be surprised if this was our last day of driving around so freely out there. Good luck to all...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Actually, you just chose not to.

• I've had a Marcum camera for many years and have found it extremely educational.  When I take new anglers on the ice, they love watching the fish.  Never had the camera spook a fish.

I used a Marcum battery-powered panner to rotate the camera, and that helps identify my lure.  However, you also have to be pretty confidant with the depth of your jig, so that it will show up on the camera.

I've found the camera of limited value during the summer, because it's constantly moving up and down, and a little side to side.  Even if I can find my jig, it's not for long.  What I use the camera for during soft water season is to identify bottom structure and get a general idea what's down there.  

During hard water season, I use it primarily to see bites before they happen.  Not only do I know exactly what's near or looking at my jig, but I can see when they're actually going after it.  I have pulled the hook away from fish that were obviously too small, and also been able to set the hook on a bite before I could feel it.

I love my flasher, but I have out-fished buddies with my camera.

• $750 this week only or it gets winterized

• Yaggie takwes top honors this week beating our points leader by three points. Yaggie's team finished 1st, 6th, 7th, and 13th earning him 379 points for the week and his thrid weekly win of the year. 379 points is also yaggies top score of the year and the third highest score of all the teams for the year. Congrats on a great week Yaggie!

yaggie   379
      Fishin-Novice   376
      BlackLundPro   334
      Huckfin   329
      gregg52   309
      88fan   304
      fishing star   297
      Rip_Some_Lip   297
      SwivelDigger   292
      musky999   269
      juneau4   263
      mnwildman   263
      Jar Jar   261
      jwhjr   259
      cat-man   235
      Airjer   234
      Moose   149

Total Points

1     Fishin-Novice   7,929
      2     musky999   7,921
      3     gregg52   7,910
      4     Rip_Some_Lip   7,748
      5     jwhjr   7,698
      6     yaggie   7,575
      7     mnwildman   7,569
      8     88fan   7,504
      9     Huckfin   7,447
      10     Jar Jar   7,357
      11     BlackLundPro   7,348
      12     fishing star   7,341
      13     Airjer   7,298
      14     SwivelDigger   7,267
      15     cat-man   7,231
      16     juneau4   7,188
      17     Moose   6,622
    • Got my Helix 5. Now just need to get my sled out of storage and figure out where to mount it.

• Actually, you just chose not to.
    • I've had a Marcum camera for many years and have found it extremely educational.  When I take new anglers on the ice, they love watching the fish.  Never had the camera spook a fish.   I used a Marcum battery-powered panner to rotate the camera, and that helps identify my lure.  However, you also have to be pretty confidant with the depth of your jig, so that it will show up on the camera.   I've found the camera of limited value during the summer, because it's constantly moving up and down, and a little side to side.  Even if I can find my jig, it's not for long.  What I use the camera for during soft water season is to identify bottom structure and get a general idea what's down there.     During hard water season, I use it primarily to see bites before they happen.  Not only do I know exactly what's near or looking at my jig, but I can see when they're actually going after it.  I have pulled the hook away from fish that were obviously too small, and also been able to set the hook on a bite before I could feel it.   I love my flasher, but I have out-fished buddies with my camera.
    • $750 this week only or it gets winterized
    • Yaggie takwes top honors this week beating our points leader by three points. Yaggie's team finished 1st, 6th, 7th, and 13th earning him 379 points for the week and his thrid weekly win of the year. 379 points is also yaggies top score of the year and the third highest score of all the teams for the year. Congrats on a great week Yaggie! yaggie   379 Fishin-Novice   376 BlackLundPro   334 Huckfin   329 gregg52   309 88fan   304 fishing star   297 Rip_Some_Lip   297 SwivelDigger   292 musky999   269 juneau4   263 mnwildman   263 Jar Jar   261 jwhjr   259 cat-man   235 Airjer   234 Moose   149   Total Points 1     Fishin-Novice   7,929 2     musky999   7,921 3     gregg52   7,910 4     Rip_Some_Lip   7,748 5     jwhjr   7,698 6     yaggie   7,575 7     mnwildman   7,569 8     88fan   7,504 9     Huckfin   7,447 10     Jar Jar   7,357 11     BlackLundPro   7,348 12     fishing star   7,341 13     Airjer   7,298 14     SwivelDigger   7,267 15     cat-man   7,231 16     juneau4   7,188 17     Moose   6,622
    • Got my Helix 5. Now just need to get my sled out of storage and figure out where to mount it.
    • Now that's funny.  I chose not to answer a ignorant question that an elitist like yourself could care less the answer to.  The only reason you want an answer to that question is to spend the next week trying to find some ignorant reason he/she is a bad choice. #rentfree
    • But you couldn't articulate who your favorite Trump picks for justices were, or why.
    • Many of the resorts / cabins where I stay on weekend fishing outings do not have a fish cleaning house. I also do not like the smell of dead fish from the cleaning process in my home. My wheel house is a fishing shack only, non-sleeper, which I take off the ice each night. It has both A/C and propane heat so I usually plug it into an AC outlet at night.   I decided to build a retractable / drop-down fish cleaning table 17” x 48” up and out of the way while on the ice and a warm place to clean fish. I use clear news print between the my fish cleaning board and the table to eliminate the need to wash the table every time I use it. Functionally works well, still needs some finish touches, paint, stain, rust treatment. I can also see many uses for this table while on the Ice. Fish Cleaning Table.mp4
    • Big win for the team today. Not many folks thought they would go into Carolina and leave 3-0. If this offense can get their sh$t together this may be a fun year. Defense is the real deal.
  • Our Sponsors