Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumpy

BEST Ice Fishing Line

9 posts in this topic

Any preferences on ice fishing lines for walleye and panfish? I fish Mille Lacs mostly, been up to URL also for crappie and locally round the cities. I see an adv in a recent ice fishing mag for PLine Floroice, anybody have any experiences with that? I've tried fireline and like the feel but can fish see it easier? Seems like water quality has been improving on ML and that may affect the kind of line you want to use. Have switch to green XL for a while now but may switch back to something that has a lower stretch for jigging. Can't wait to see those big red lines showing up on the vexilar!

I am planning on giving the P-line a shot this winter. Pat Smith, from thorne bros, swears by this stuff. I spent some time with it and what’s nice is that it is not as stiff as Berkley vanish but still has some of the “invisible” qualities. Very limp. I am going to put 3# on my panfish rigs.

I used Berkley micro ice and fireline all last winter and also had no complaints. The only reason I thought I would switch was for experimental reasons.

I like both Berkely Micro Ice and Berkely Cold Weather line. Both are designed specifically for ice fishing and are limp but provide strength. I use #2 pound test on my crappie setups and rarely get broken off. Line is pretty inexpensive too, $3 or $4 for a for a spool that will fill 2 or 3 reels. I plan on buying some more at the Sports Show.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I second the berkely micro ice and cold weather line, I have had great luck with it as well. Economical, great performance, great knot strength, and plenty tough for ice fishing. I think it is the best for the money out there.

I use my open water spinning and baitcasting reels on ice fishing rods, and I don't change to ice line. One thing I don't like about most of the ice reels is their small spools, which makes for the "slinky" effect because of line memory. Also, I'm so used to these open water reels they feel like old friends, and larger reels are easier to work with gloves/mittens on.

I've found Trilene XL to work quite well through the ice. It's limp, which makes a big difference in cold weather. And I buy the 4, 6 and 8 lb in bulk spools that I can usually find somewhere on clearance. I've noticed no difference in fish catching between the clear and green, even on crystal clear lakes.

The limpest 2pd. test mono that I have ever used is the Fenwick Flexline 2lb. that you can not purchase any more it would hang a up to 1/150 oz. jig straight in extreme cold weather. I only have one problem with it however and that's unform strength it's not as consistent as I thought it would be. Every now and then I would get a break some where between the jig and the tip of my rod, it's happened about 6 times in the last 4 years I have been using it. I have 1 spool 2,200 yard left. I mostly uses the Berkley micro-ice 2 lb. now. For deep water perch I will be using 1-4 fireline. barrel swivel and 4pd. Seguar Carbon Ice 3ft. leader to a snap for small raps, spoons and larger Genz worms.

My vote is for P-LINE in less than 6 lb test or less, been using this for the last 1-1/2 years and is goot stuff

WallEyes,
What type of P-Line do you use? I have been trying to get a hold of the company but have had no success. I have called and e-mailed. What I would like to know is if there is a difference between the floroclear and the floroice. Thorne bros in Fridley will wind floroclear for 4 cents a yard…but the floroice is around 5 bucks for 100 yards…Kind of spendy to me.

Joe