• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why does interference happen?

Question

Can someone please explain why two colorpoints interfere with one another, but when an FL8 and colorpoint are next to each other, the interference only shows on the FL8...What about other combinations? The new marcum and the colorpoint, FL8 and Marcum, FL18 and Marcum? Why does this happen?

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

2 answers to this question

I can't get too technical. But its basically because of the waves bouncing off eachother. If you have two units emmitting the same frequency, their waves(signals) are likely to reflect off eachother causing interference.

Interference is a pain. Even with units that have some different freqs to switch to, sometimes you can't avoid it. I have found that sometimes lessening the gain will reduce it. If you are fishing with other people and both or all of you are using locators, try a few different freqs or gain settings to try to reduce the mess. The worst one is the "racetrack" noise that runs around the dial from bottom to top. Sometimes, reducing the gain will make it impossible to see your bait but will still show the fish ok. You just have to experiment some. I have found that when fishing rocky bottomed areas it's much worse than fishing mud areas. I think the mud absorbs more signal and requires more gain, especially deep mud. One more thing-if you are fishing a deep slope and you are on the deeper part than someone else, the guy on the deeper side will have the interference. If the fish are running deeper, you'll have a clear view but of course, you'll mark fewer fish. Yep, it's a problem. Someday, someone will figure it out and then we'll all have to go out and buy an "FL-28"?...(That's what I'm waiting for since the FL-18 didn't address that problem.).....T