• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Boats

Alphid

Question

I am looking at getting a new pair of boots for ice fishing this winter and am wondering about what would be the best kind to get? I perfer to sit outside when fishing but when it get too cold I would move inside?
Would 1000 grams of Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation be sufficient to keep my feet toasty? I heard that having your feet higher off the ground is also something to consider.
Any advice would be appreciated?

[This message has been edited by Alphid (edited 10-31-2002).]

4 answers to this question

That won't be enough insulation if you don't keep moving. Get battery-operated socks if you get boots that light. I bring along a carpet remnant to sit my feet on. Makes a big difference. Best all-around are pac-style boots like LaCrosse Iceman, Sorels, etc. If you get em big enough for two pairs of socks with room to move your toes around, you'll stay warm.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-31-2002).]

I am looking at getting a new pair of boots for ice fishing this winter and am wondering about what would be the best kind to get? I perfer to sit outside when fishing but when it get too cold I would move inside?
Would 1000 grams of Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation be sufficient to keep my feet toasty? I heard that having your feet higher off the ground is also something to consider.
Any advice would be appreciated?

[This message has been edited by Alphid (edited 10-31-2002).]