• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead Tommy!?!

pumper317

I was bow hnting up at my cousin's husbands land and when walking out to the deer stand accross a field we noticed a turkey laying dead on the edge of the field. (I have never been turkey hunting, but know a little bit about it. Both the guys i am with hunt them in the spring.) I ran and picked it up to get a peak before we went out to the stand, and low and behold it was a big tom. It had an 11+ inch beard, inch and a half spurs, and a gorgeous tail.

We took the bird and cut off the legs, tail, wings, and beard and are getting them mounted as a gift to the guys dad who owns the land.

We couldnt figure out why it was there dead, but we just figured natural causes. Not something you see every day.

That's a shame right there. No obvious sign of being hit with shotgun pellets or anything like that? Turkey season is still on in the metro.

Could have been hit by a car? A lot more common thn you might think.

Sounds fishy. Not implying you guys did anything, but they're way too tough a bird to just plop over dead. Suppose the old boy could've had a heart attack? smile

Careful taking any game or pieces of game out of the woods without prior contact of a CO. In their eyes, you could've taken the bird illegally and just wanted the spurs/beard.

I ran into this last year. I cruise the roads and hunt turkeys religiously each spring. Not only do I see tons of them dead on the road, I've seen them get hit. In one instance, I called a CO and he said I could breast it out and take the bird, he'd stop by later with a posession tag. Did the same thing last year, left a message, he didn't answer. Got back to me a day later and acted surprised I took the animal. His new stance is "circle of life", coyote food, kick it in the ditch; along with a stern warning. Guess it seemed suspicious that in two consecutive springs I'd see fresh turkey kills and want either parts and/or meat. Not for those who know how much time I spend out there smile.

Careful!

Joel