• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rpm trolling controler

River Dan

I have a 2008 90horse 4 stroke and I'm wondering if anyone out there has that trolling control on there motor, and how well does it work? I've read that with the cotroler on you can actually drop the rpms down in the 500+ range instead of the 900 is that really true? Thanks

I haven't heard of one that's approved for use on large motors - it would be extremely difficult to slow a 90 hp motor (2 or 4 stroke) that far and keep it running smoothly. There's not enough spinning mass (Flywheel) to pull that off.

marine_man

I've read that with the cotroler on you can actually drop the rpms down in the 500+ range instead of the 900 is that really true?

You should be able to get your motor to idle down to 600 in gear and 800 in neutral... unless it's new and not fully broke in yet.

marine_man

If he's running a Yamaha it won't.

With the VTS switch it will, and it runs great at the lowest setting. I can't recall what the RPM's are at the lowest point. I'd have to take a look the next time I'm out.

Sorry.. I forgot about VTS on the yamaha.. I was thinking small motor (9.9 with a trollmaster for instance)...

LMITOUT has had very good sucess with the VTS system on his yamaha, but I would suspect that with a 2008 Mercury didn't encorporate any features to use a yamaha system.

Here's a post with more info on the VTS:

Yamaha 115 4 Stroke Trolling

marine_man

Mercury now makes a handle similar to the Yamaha VTS system, it is called the Big Tiller, just google it and you will find tons of reveiws on the web. It bring the shifter closer to your hand as well as moving the trim/tilt to the handle and has an RPM adjustment gauge that will move up or down in 10 RPM incraments.