• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steelhead flyrod blank

I have a couple of 8wt's and I've thought about rebuilding one (not enjoying the guides) but am also looking at building one from scratch. I've been looking at a couple of discontinued Sage blanks, a TCR 9' 8wt and a SLT 9'6" 8wt. I would be building this to use on the Brule. Any suggestions on which blank to choose.

I am not familiar with Sage blanks at all. But for Steelhead I would think either blank, considering they are 8wts would work fine. The only thing would be how and where you are going to use them. To me if I was fishing on smaller tree lined streams, I would want the shorter rod, if I am fishing more open rivers, the longer one would be my choice. And don't take my opinion too far as I am a real rookie to fly fishing.

Personally i'd lean towards the longer blank. Lots of folks are going to and enjoying "switch" rods in the 10-11 ft range. I built a 11 ft 6/7 wt on a talon blank that I love. Just some food for thought and depends on what applications your useing it for. It's great for mending line, nymphing with or without a indy, punching long cast, swinging wets, etc...