• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skin Abrasions/cuts/puncture wounds

JConrad

Would like to know what you guys use for skin abrasions, cuts, and puncture wounds. I have EMT Gel in my dog's first aid kit but would like opinions on other products. Any natural creams, salves or the like that you can recommend.

I am sure there are other products out there but the best source for information comes from the guys using the various products..

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated..

For abraisions and worn skin from running brush I use bag balm to keep my dogs in good shape on several day hunts. Super Glue is another tool in the arsenal for deeper gashes and pad cuts. For major work I carry a skin stapler which can come in handy in the middle of nowhere. I use EMT gel as well, more to speed healing on cuts than to address wounds initially.

I say about the exact same as Hubercita. Bag balm on minor cuts and raw skin - like sore or raw feet / toes. I also carry EMT gel and a skin stapler just in case. By far bag balm is the most commonly used item after an extended pheasant hunt.

Thanks Guys.... I was not aware of bag balm so I will be sure to order some ASAP... I have a pretty good first aid kit but was most concerned about skin abrasions. I also heard that Buck Mountain Wound Balm is an excellent product for abrasions, small cuts, and puncture wounds.

My dog was in some heavy rough brush the other day and has several abrasions under her eyes and I was not sure what to put on them.

I would be cautious with bag balm near the eyes. I am not sure if it would cause eye issues, but I have always put it on areas far from the eyes. That other balm you metioned sounds like it may be a good option as well.

Bag balm is not hard to find, I have found it in small town drug stores in the past. Since it is intended for milk cows, it is easy to find in rural areas.

Scott, thanks... I looked for Bag Balm this afternoon at Mills Fleet Farm in Baxter but they did not have it. Will be in S. Dakota later in the week and I am sure I can find it there. Will be careful with regard to her eyes.. The Buck Mountain Balm which is all natural stuff may be a better solution around the eyes...

Thanks for the input....

It really would be nice to work out Griffons together. I will be guiding in S. Dakota starting on the 23rd until the 2nd of Nov. My two sons are meeting me in Aberdeen on Nov 3 for five days of hunting west of Aberdeen.. Will then concentrate on MN Pheasant hunting until the end of Nov.. Then backa to S. Dakota the first week of Dec with my oldest son and a friend from Nebraska.

Just a really great time of the year...

Maybe we can find a way to get our dogs together sometime in Nov... Would really enjoy seeing them work together.

Send me an email with your thoughts... JConrad(at)att.net