• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd GPS/Finder screen Modification

JimBuck

Question

Alright, fall is kicking in and it's this time of year I start thinking about winter modifications for the boat. I have a lowrance 522 I purchased this year.....great unit. Now, my only problem is 90% of my fishing takes place in the front part of the boat. However, my lowrance is installed in the back since I need to use it for navigation, spot locations etc......I understand the ability to network multiple lowrance units together via the network cable. Like many others, I can't afford to spend a bunch of money on another lowrance unit to simply display inofrmation being received by my first unit. So this got me thinking.....has anyone had any luck making a video out modification for a lowrance unit to display information on a 2nd screen from a third-party manufacturer? I'm sure it may be more difficult than it seems.....but couldn't someone do some wire splicing on a network cable and convert it to a video out plug to be plugged in to a small monitor in the front of the boat? As far as I know, nothing like this exists on the market. Small viewing screen's are incredibly affordable and it would sure beat shelling out the dough for 2 units only to use one to it's fullest potential. Thanks guys/gals. I look forward to hearing your opinions/advice.

Kind regards,

-Buck

1 answer to this question

Sorry dude, I can't help you out with the video out modification you're talking about ---- techy stuff like that is beyond me, and I've never heard of it being done.

Your 522 should have a yellow ethernet port on the back. If you get two units with ethernet ports you can share all the network info and the sonar display. Probably the cheapest way to go about that is with a 520c display unit only, wbich would cost you a litle less than $400 plus osme cables. That's the only way I know to do what you're talking about doing.