• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

typical dog...will he get sick??

Fish&Fowl

Took the dog out for a walk tonight and went by a deer carcass someone threw in a ditch...of course he had to check it out. I told him to leave it alone, and walked a little ways and looked back and he had a piece of flesh in his mouth that I walked right over. I took it out and it was full of maggots (at least I think that's what the nasty little @#$% were)!

I looked in his mouth and he had one crawling on his tongue. I don't know if I got it out or not, but they might have been a couple more in there too. Will this hurt him or will they just die and pass through??

Labs are famous for eating everything. Bears will eat maggots off of carcasses for the protien so I don't see how it would hurt a dog. Worst case would be a bad belly ache, runs, puke but then maybe it'll leave dead deer alone.

redhooks

If that would have been my Lab he would have rolled in it. Somebody had thrown some milk jugs into a road ditch and after the ditch was mowed my dog found them. He looked like was half covered in cottage cheese but he sure didn't smell like it. Dang I hate when does that. eek

All right I kind of figured it shouldn't be a big deal. He didn't eat any of the deer either, and he's still wolfing down his food and drinking water. I think it was more disgusting than anything!

My britanys like to kill and chomp on rabbits.

Didn't think it was a big deal and so let them

play with it and then take it away. On a recent

Vet trip, he found tape worms in one dog because

of chomping on rabbits, who carry nasty stuff.

Go thru his [PoorWordUsage] with somebody elses "fine tooth

comb" and see if there are some critters moving

abouts. I don't think you are out of the woods on

this one, but ask the pro.

I looked at his last two "piles" and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He only had it in his mouth for a couple seconds, so unless I notice something unusual I'll just keep a close eye on him for a while.