• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-stroke problem

Question

This past weekend when I took my nissan 15hp 4 stroke out I had a hard time getting it to start and when it did start it wouldnt run for long. Every time I would give it a little gas it would shut off. I found out after an hour of messing around with it that if I reved it up high in neutral then it seemed to run better. This was the first time the motor had benn run in about 2 months. Does anyone have any idea what the problem was?

2 answers to this question

I think you said it -- not run for two months. My Merc 9.9 4-stroke is the same. Fine if I use it all the time, hard starting and temperamental if it sits.

If you only use your motor every couple of months, use fuel stabilizer in the gas all the time, not just for storage. The ethynol in gas causes it to begin to break down in a month or less. You are experiencing deposits settling in the jets from the gas sitting for a fairly long time.