• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1982 Johnson 20hp Question Solved, but more questions

MWellner

Update, It was dark when I was doing this, I found the lock tab on top of the transom bracket.

Now when you squeeze the fuel bulb hard, gas comes out of the carb, but after you try to start it, but the plugs don't smell like gas at all.

Thursday I will have someone hold each plug in place one at a time to make sure it has spark. It also has a new power pack because the old one had frayed and duct taped wires.

I just built a motor stand out of 2x8's, vertical 4x4 supports for the 2x8 board which you mount the motor onto, and 2x6 diagional bracing. Now I am having trouble with the locking mechanism, it won't lock onto the pin in the transom bracket.

Could it be bent and I need to replace it?

I have to replace the fuel line inlet becuase once you hook up the fuel line, it doesn't fit snug, bulb isn't getting hard.

If you ask why its a 20 hp in a 1982 model, its Canadian made.

There isn't anything to the tilt lock tab. The reverse lock, sometimes referred to as "shallow water position drive" can bend. Its really not strong enough to be used to hold motor position.

About the fuel inlet on the outboard, there isn't much there that can go wrong. Replacing a new hose w/ fittings or replace the fittings is what you should try first if your its leaking.

There isn't anything to the tilt lock tab. The reverse lock, sometimes referred to as "shallow water position drive" can bend. Its really not strong enough to be used to hold motor position.

About the fuel inlet on the outboard, there isn't much there that can go wrong. Replacing a new hose w/ fittings or replace the fittings is what you should try first if your its leaking.

A little confused about that. I'm not talking about the shallow water drive, rather the mechanism with the hook catches which lock onto the rod in the transom bracket.

There is a thin wire connected to this mechanism and it goes verticle to the top of the motor mount. I remember my old 8hp Yamaha had a tab you moved to unlock the lock mechanism so you could pull up the motor to engage the shallow water drive.

OK we got the lock out of the way.

When you squeeze the bulb gas enters the carb and fills the bowl. When the proper fuel level is reached the float in the bowl rises and shuts the gas flow off via an inlet valve(needle and seat).

Your able to continue to pump gas above the proper fuel level because your inlet valve is not shutting off the gas. That could be because the float has a hole in it, the tang(used to adjustment fuel level) on the float is set wrong), the motor is tipped up and upsetting the float level, or and most likely the inlet valve(needle and seat) need to be replaced.

So you'll need to removed the carb, clean it and install new needle and seat.

Thursday I will have someone hold each plug in place one at a time to make sure it has spark.

You must have some really good friends. I certainly won't do it even if we were "married" grin

You can check spak better in a dark area, or at night, it will be more visible. Hang a plug near the hole where it touches the metal and you will be able to see it.

Originally Posted By: MWellner

Thursday I will have someone hold each plug in place one at a time to make sure it has spark.

You must have some really good friends. I certainly won't do it even if we were "married" grin

You can check spak better in a dark area, or at night, it will be more visible. Hang a plug near the hole where it touches the metal and you will be able to see it.

I have a spark plug pliers by the way with rubber tips, never mind, maybe I'd just call my neighbor Gomer and have him hold the plug wire, Im sure he would like the nasty shock.

However in response to Surface Tension,

Fuel-Air-Spark, I think its a good rule to make sure you have all three. I got the whole package, boat, motor and trailer for $500 back in May of 2007. The 14' starcraft needs to be repainted inside and out and I plan to make ash seats for it. Now I need to get the motor started before I go any further, I have my fingers crossed that the water pump will work if I get it started up!