• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

brightsdale/ isonour units??

USPENAMC

was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this two state areas. I have done some research but its mostly paper research online and stuff. Havent had boots on the ground in the area.

has anyone hunted this area for deer? I am not looking for big bucks or anyhting just to know deer density/ terrain/ what to expect and any information youd like to share penasoccer at yahoo

I hunted down in this area years ago and can tell you its beautiful country but extremely crowded now. We no longer hunt the area for this reason alone. In particular during rifle season you will see an orange coat in every tree. There are many deer though quality bucks are rare on these parcels of state land if that is your goal. Getting permission to deer hunt on private land in the area is pretty much impossible. We used to stay at the Old Barn until it got so full of drunks you could not sleep.

I am only going for bow if i go. I had info given to me by the CENTER there in the brightsdale unit. im only looking for quantity as opposed to quality at this time. the reason being is i want to help my 15 year old brother get his first deer. he has been at it for 3 years both rifle and 2 yrs with bow and nothing yet. He has had some opportunities but has not taken the shot due to not getting the broadside shot presented to him etc. its between CARLOS AVERY WMA, rum river state forest/mille lacs wma and or the isonours/brightsdale units.

I have hunted all three of these areas at one time and between the three your best luck by far will occur in the southeast part of the state. Bowhunting will still be busy but nowhere near rifle pressure. Try to wait until that last week of October or first week of November to have the rut start moving deer. You will see deer. Look at all the other state land in the area as well. If you are young and like to hike you can get into some pretty nice spots just remember you have to drag the deer out over that same path, buy or make yourself a deer cart. There are some nice parcels east of Lanesboro and also over near Rushford. The state land around Diamond Creek is pretty nice and offers some pretty rugged hike in areas. there are also a couple of camping sites you can use at this area though they offer no ammenities. There are two nice state forest campgrounds over near Rushford. The Oak Ridge area just south of Rushford has camping and several hundred acres of land you can hunt. There are multiple bed and breakfast in Lanesboro as well which you could use as a base or their is a hotel in Preston. There is also an early anterless gun season this year I believe in 349 the weekend of Oct 11th which would be good for your 15 year old brother. Get a free copy of the southeast guide to trout fishing, I think it shows all the state land down there. You can also buy the PRIM maps at the Hudson mapstore in St Louis Park and all the detailed topos of the area and even plat books for these counties. Just pick up the maps and go on down and start checking out these areas. Good luck and let me know if you need additional information.