• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Ribs?

Anybody have any tips on Venison Ribs? They are pretty much the only thing left from my room mate's deer last year and I am looking for some prep tips. Just last weekend I smoked some Pork Baby Backs low and slow and they turned out awesome. I made my own rub and smoked at 200-225 for 6 hours then wrapped in foil with some bbq sauce and back on with the corn.

Now here is what I am wondering. Would the venison ribs be just as good like that or would they get tough? I know venison is much much leaner than the pork ribs I just did, and less fat generally equals not as juicy and not as tender. Another variable to throw in the mix, this particular deer had next to no gamey taste, she was from the soybean and grain fields in the southern US and is the best deer I have ever had.

So, do I first boil them (really would hate to do this), marinate them, bake them, grill them? How does everyone else prepare them? I really want to smoke em but I am worried about tenderness when done.

Marinate the venison by

Putting your ribs in a

casserole dish,Cover with COKE & LOTS of PEPPER

Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours.

After draining the COKE,Combine orange juice and brown sugar in a small bowl mixing to the approximate consistency of good gravy.

Drizzle mixture over ribs.

Place on Hot Grill and glaze periodically until meat is done to your likening.

And then invite me over for dinner! ;-)

Best of Luck

Brian K

With the venison ribs being so lean I typically veer away from a dry cooking process such as smoking simply to avoid toughness. I would suggest if you do plan on grilling/smoking make sure you apply lots of moisture during the cooking process by basting.

I have in the past braised them in beer and spice then finished them on the grill prior to serving apply generous amounts of apple infused bbq sauce. I would imagine it would work with smoking as well.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out!