• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DPMS LR-.204 AR-15

Was thinking of picking one of these up soon, and was wondering if anyone has it or knows anything about it and would like to share some input. The .204 is the (one of) gun to have given the research I have done on the net. I am upgrading from a bolt .204 to the AR. If it is anything like my DPMS 24" .223 stainless BB then it is going to be a great gun and also a tackdriver. The trigger could use a little work on it but I get in the groove of it once I shoot a couple rounds. It can shoot .75" or better groups with 5 shots (maybe more, never tried yet) at 100 yards.

These are tanks, and quite heavy guns even though the .204 is fluted, and not for the very mobile hunter to purchase.

are you getting the whole gun or just the upper? You could just get the upper, get a timney or chip mccormick trigger for your current setup and you might save yourself a little more, not much, but probably enough for some more rounds of ammo. Do you reload currently for the 204 and 223? If not, could use the savings of buying the upper for some reloading equipment.

As far as experience with the 204, I have none, but I have read a lot about them and they are like a laser beam out to 400 yards or more. Provided there is not a lot of wind......

Keep us up to speed on this and post some pictures of your new purchase.......

I bought the whole gun since I could not justify buying just the lower for $200 less than the whole gun (the upper itself runs $750!).

I believe the 17HMR and the .204 ruger are the two most versatile guns to come out in a long time for small game (fox and smaller critters). The 17 is a squirrel, rabbit, woodchuck, raccoon, badger, fox, beaver, stray cat, and p-dog among others killing machine, as is the .204 with quite a bit more speed and umf.

On the downside they both are iffy in the wind.

I will certainly put pics up for you as soon as I get my camera back from my gf this coming weekend.

It's a sweet lookin unit!

Didn't know you were gonna act so quickly........you could still sell the lower and get a new trigger and switch between the two uppers, come to think of it, I haven't seen a 200 dollar lower, especially a dpms lower, in a really long time.............I wouldn't have a problem using a 204 on a coyote, a 17hmr that yote better be within 50 yards and I had better be ready for the follow up.

Good luck and show us those targets, I don't ever want to shoot a 204 or I will be clearing out some space in the safe

You can't have too many guns... What good is upper without a lower. Im just wondering if you could have bought the upper as a parts kit and assembled a lower with lower parts kit you may have been able to save some money and get a sweet shooter. Of course you'd need a couple of special tools. But a trained monkey could put one together.