• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrical Nightmare!

mroyten

Oh my gosh big problems.

1. My trolling motor isn't working properly. I hit the button and it gives me the lights that signals she's charged but the prop won't turn. I hear a subtle clicking sound intially once I hit the accellorator and the unit does turn slowly. Not sure what the problem is... Checked my connections and that's not the problem... thinking it is the unit or the foot pedal.

2. fish finder won't work. Just got a new battery, so it isn't that. Tried reconnecting the connections to the terminals and the cord to the fish finder, but still nothing. Checked the fuse... and it looks fine, no signs of a busted fuse. Also looked into the sodered wire connections and that is coming up blank... Not sure... Thinking the finder is toast. I don't get it, it worked last time I was out no problem. Any help would be great.

Very fustrated angler.

Assumeing that you have separate batteries for trolling and main starting.

1.- Verify the battery is good with a load tester. Clean all connections. I had one that the connector from the foot pedal was dirty.

2.- Use a 12 volt DC tester and verify voltage to the finder.

Wow, sounds tough. It's not bad enough for the trolling motor but the finder as well. What kind of motor is it? I have heard of the circut board going kaput on these things. The finder I haven't a clue. You did not get struck by lightning did you?

My trolling motor isn't working properly. I hit the button and it gives me the lights that signals she's charged but the prop won't turn. I hear a subtle clicking sound intially once I hit the accellorator and the unit does turn slowly. Not sure what the problem is... Checked my connections and that's not the problem... thinking it is the unit or the foot pedal.

That sounds like a bad battery to me. Even though it's reading full volts it probably doens't have any reserve capacity left. You need to have it load tested to be sure, bring it to an auto parts or battery store and they can do it for you.

One other option could be it's a 24 volt motor that's only getting 12 volts, but not too likely if you haven't changed the wiring or connections, and if it reads full volts when you push the test button.

Regarding your finding, if you're getting power to the unit then it sounds like a problem with the unit itself.

Good luck getting it all taken care of.

Alright! I'm guilty, I assumed. I had just got two new batteries this year and when everything failed I thought it couldn't be the connections, but that's what is was. Got some terminal cleaner cleaned the connections and now everything is running smooth. False alarm, thanks for the helpful input. That battery terminal cleaner works like a charm, I cannot believe how fast one of my connections went bad (like a week). Got some other stuff to help avoid corrosion, so this won't happen as rapidly, hopefully. thanks all.

the happy angler