Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NETim

Lowrance sonar data sharing

12 posts in this topic

OK, I've got two 520c's in my new boat. They came with rev 1.7 s/w loaded on them.

I liked the idea of sonar data sharing, so I upgraded to rev 2.3 s/w. Haven't had the boat out since, so I don't know if it hurt me or not. (Only had the boat out 2x previously.)

Anyway I can display the depth data on the bowmounted 520 from the console unit, which I expected.

The question is, is it possible to share/display the actual sonar data on the bowmount unit, i.e., graphical data?

I'm satisfied with just the digital depth data but if I can get more out of the system, I'm all for it.

Thanks!

Doesn't the new Lowrance Expansion Port let you share sonar data if you have the ethernet connections on your units? I haven't used one but I was under the impression that's why they came out with it, so you could share sonar info from 1 transducer between multiple displays at the same time????

I believe it does, but I'm not sure if the broadband sounder is required also. It appears he was referring to the simple LowranceNET configuration in which you cannot share sonar AFAIK.

Agree, with just the 520s he for sure won't be able to share anything other than the digital depth reading.

I'm not sure but I think that adding the expansion port and the ethernet cables will allow sharing the sonar display. The Lowrance documentation on this isn't very clear though, and I don't think too many people are using it yet (probably because they already have a transducer on each sonar unit, but down the road as people buy new units maybe the expansion port will become a lot more popular).

I don't think the broadband sounder is required to share displays, I think that enhances your display (ie. deep water), and can be shared over the expansion port, but is not required. It's a pricey little bugger too grin

I'm not up to speed at all with this new whiz bang technology. The 520's are connected together via the NMEA and an ethernet interface. I'm not sure what each interface brings to the ballgame.

I would think the combination would be enough bandwidth to provide more than just the digital data but maybe that's in the future?

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been eyeballing the broadband sounder but don't think it's worth it for the lakes I fish which are typically shallower. They say it really improves the clarity and definition from the promo videos I've watched but it'd be tough to justify that price for that much gained.

I think you may be right about just needing the expansion port and not the broadband sounder to share sonar data. I know there was some confusion when it was debuted that the broadband sonar unit required the expansion port but it was found out that you do not if just connecting to one depthfinder.

Even though Ranger told me that the two 520's were fully connected, I went ahead and looked the console unit last night. Lo and behold, the ethernet connector was empty.

I am tempted to get an ethernet cable to at least temporarily connect the two units just to see what, if anything, it will gain me.

Information on this is difficult to come by, even on Lowrance's HSOforum.

I'm still not sure, but now I read something that makes me think the ethernet cable between the two 520s might let you share the sonar display. I know this was not an option before the ethernet port and the newest software version, but now it might be an option. Like you say, there sure isn't very clear info about this yet. Your best bet might be to tough it out on hold with Lowrance and ask their technical staff, they should know right away if the ethernet cable will let you share the sonar diplay between two units. Post back and let us know what you find out.

I have the the LMS-520 and the LCX-27 Networked together with the LowranceNet and the ethernet cable. The LowranceNet is like a computer network that allows you to share certain hardware between the units on the network. Most of the Networks are setup to just share the GPS Antenna, but can also be setup to monitor engine functions, fuel consumption and even livewell water temperature. With the Network the GPS can also share waypoints between the units. (they will not share trails,icons or back ground maps such as Navionics or Lakemaster)

The Ethernet cable allows you to share sonar display data between both units by specifying which transducer you which to utilize. Both units will only work off one transducer at a time and you select this in one of the MENU functions.

The Ethernet cable allows you to share sonar display data between both units by specifying which transducer you which to utilize. Both units will only work off one transducer at a time and you select this in one of the MENU functions.

Nice. Thanks for the info. I've got 4 units networked together via the LowranceNet but they are all a few years old and predate the ethernet connection.

I have the the LMS-520 and the LCX-27 Networked together with the LowranceNet and the ethernet cable. The LowranceNet is like a computer network that allows you to share certain hardware between the units on the network. Most of the Networks are setup to just share the GPS Antenna, but can also be setup to monitor engine functions, fuel consumption and even livewell water temperature. With the Network the GPS can also share waypoints between the units. (they will not share trails,icons or back ground maps such as Navionics or Lakemaster)

OK, I haven't seen this option on the Menu but maybe it becomes active when the unit senses the ethernet connection?

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and give Lowrance tech support a call before I buy a cable, even it is only $40.

Thanks!