• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On my way up for three days next week, to try my hand at smallie fishing. Need a little help on where to start looking, the slough, break wall, sand point. Staying in Ashland,first timer, only a 17.5ft boat so don't want to run to far. Thanks for any and all help.

Spin

The bass are spread out through the bay now, in summer patterns. The rock pile, break wall (SE and NW corners), Long Island point, weed flats, shallow areas (Kakagon and Sand Cut), Hot Pond, Ashland Area pilings, etc etc will all hold fish. Some areas are hit harder then others and there are fish in off the wall spots that you can find if you put in a little effort too.

For just going out to community areas, the rock pile, break wall areas, and long island point will have fish on them. Live bait rigging, swim jigs, spinner baits, and cranks will get em to bite.

This mornings report, It was a bit windy out there, But managed 3 walleyes 20-25" no keepers, 2 bass biggest was 17.5 1 Northern 39.75" that was a blast, net wasn't big enough. You have to love it when your best laid plans don't come together, those are always the times you remember. Going back out after lunch. Good luck.

The fishing just got better as the wind died down on Wed. and Thurs. Walleyes all day long 20-26"{no keepers}, trolling in 12' of water about 3/4 mile out from 2nd landing. I don't know if I just stumbled on a school or what but it was a good time. The bass turned on out on the rock pile in the evening and early morning. Nothing over 19". The northerns were just a nice bonus. Nice solid fish.

I'll be back up at the end of the month, should I change my tactics and locations?

I liked to book a trip with you Jim, bring my granddaughter up she is only 8, but she loves to fish. I'll get a hold of you. Thanks again for the help. Good luck

Cool deal on the fish.. Sounds like you did fantastic for the bay.. Walleyes definately have been going well this year in my boat too.. Some decent pike.. And landed my first legal smallie of the year, two days ago, and then another today just a quarter inch short of 22. Both big fish and released.

Shoot me an e-mail through my addy below.

Wow, talk about windy. It did calm down a little towards evening { not as many white caps }, but we still took a beating out there, few waves over the front of the boat. managed to get 3 more bass, biggest was 19. There was a lot of trailers in the lot, but we never seen any other boats out there. Must have been back in the slough. Didn't even try it on Sunday morning, although I'm sure it calm down during the day. That's just the way it has been working out for me this year. Still though can't wait to get back up there. Good luck.