Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Special

Mt. Rushmore/ Hill City Area

6 posts in this topic

This coming wkend I'll be camping with the family in Hill City KOA. I was just wondering what type of fishing and what species coudl I be looking foward to just incase I do have sometime to go fishing out there?

Thank you and have a safe holiday

I'll be in the Hill City area Saturday afternoon thru Friday. We're staying at Rafter J Ranch. I have no clue on the fishing in the area. I think we'll have too many other things to see & do to get any fishing in. Good Luck

fly fishing for trout. Black Hills is excellent. There is a good fly shop in Rapid City that can help with local conditions.

Thanks everyone,

I might not get to fish either but, it would be nice to catch some fish for the grill.

Thanks again and have a safe 4th

Mr Special

If your not tied down to the KOA campground the entire stay. Make your way up to the Rochford area of the hills. There are a couple nice campgrounds in this area and not so crowded with other campers also. Some of the better trout streams are located in and around the town.

Kind of cool to see some of the old mills and mines also. Pick yourself up a National forest service map of the hills and it will show all the old mines and mills of the region, along with all roads for the area. Amazing what you find off the beaten path sometimes.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay.

Farmer

Just wanted to say Thank you for all the help. I did end up dong some fishing and caught a few trout for the campfire. Nothing like fresh trout. i ended up fishing the trout pond at Palmer Gulch, Horse thief lk and Sylan lk. I wish i had a lil more time to fish, now that I kinda got a feel for how and what to expect. But oh well, that just means I have to go back there again.

Again,, Thank you