• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panko

Seasoned Flour dredge

Egg Wash

Panko with seasoning mixed in

Then maybe a sprinkle of seasoning on top after the panko dip.

The flavor of Panko is rather bland but it gives a great crunch. Be sure to give your fillets a bit of salt after they come out of the fryer. They will be great.

Another good crunch ingredient is polenta, or yellow corn grits. I use Bob's Red Mill brand. You can also substitute corn flour for white flour. Add those and whatever spices you like to a ziploc bag and shake for easy coverage and leave open to dry when done to reuse it.

I like to cut panko 50-50 with seasoned bread crumbs then add some salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning - flour, egg wash, then mix - fry...

Or lay your filets on a baking dish and sprinkle them with lemon pepper, a little cajun and panko then pop em under the broiler

Get some seasoned breading mix (not corn meal) like Gary Roach's or Shorelunch or jason Boser's... Make a real soupy beer batter (like the consistancy of a melted milk shake).

Put som seasoned flour or some of the breading mix in a bowl. Roll fillets in dry seasoned flour 1st before dipping in beer batter, this will keep the batter sticking to the fillet instead of falling off. Immediatley dip the floured fillet in the beer batter allowing all excess batter to drip off, then immediatley roll till completly covered in Panko crumbs. Deep fry till golden and floating. Set in a collander to allow excess oil to drip off the fillets. Lightly re-season the fillet right away when warm ( I just use a pinch of salt)...

The best, crunchiest battered fish you will ever eat! And I do not prefer battered fish for the most part! Give it a try! I serve it with a nice homemade tarter sauce, but put a dish of cocktail sauce out there too... you'll be amazed at how good that tastes with this fish! Some prefer to squeeze a little fresh lemon on the fillets before eating... I do too!

Good Luck!

Ken