• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

removing lower unit

hulapopper

I am trying to remove the lower unit on my 1998 90hp Johnson. I have taken the four bolts off from the cavitation plate and the one just above the prop. Should it come loose now? It is still very tight. I tried tapping on the cavitiaiton plate a little but didn't want to break anything.

Thanks SFG I would have never found the bolt under there. Now the unit is able to move but I can't find the shift rod you guys are talking about. I have the lower cowling off the power head and the only shaft I see looks to be about 3/4 in maybe 5/8 and it seems to go right in to a bearing on the power head. Where do I look for this shaft? Thanks for taking the time to help !!!

ITS OUT Thank you guys very much. What a great resource!!!! I don't know that I ever would have found the two hang ups if it weren't for you guys. I had a littlle trouble trying to figure out what had to happen for that shaft to come loose but when that brass clamp or clevis started to move I could see what needed to happen

Again thanks for taking the time to respond I really appreciate it Now I just need to get the prop shaft fixed and put things back together and we should be good to go.

Leave for Bemidji area the last week of June so need to get things going...