• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

alumacraft Navigator - rod holder bases???

mrjigger

Just bought a 175 navigator tiller model. Want to install a few rod holders.

If you have seen this boat, or own one, you know the boat does not really have a gunnel. It is more like a 3 1/2" +/- molding around the top edge of the boat.

What type of rod holder bases are typically installed on this boat?

The dealer says I could install the flush mounted bases, but I am a little skeptical. I have not picked the boat up yet, only seen it on the show floor.

I think I would have to drill a 1 3/8" hole in the molding to slide the round part of the base through. I estimate there is about 2" to 2 1/4" of space on the molding to drill the 1 3/8" hole.

Does not seem to be a lot of room for error. I guess I am just curious what others have done. Flush mount?? or top mount??

thanks.

You could try some top mount instead of side mount brackets and put them on the top of the deck if you can fish good places. A bit less convenient but I don't think I'd drill down into the tubing either. Otherwise you could just drill the holes through the side of the boat just under the gunwale and try to find some decent backing - like fiberglass or even cut down one of the transducver mounting plates and paint it to match the boat.