• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vinyl/Steel Log Siding

beeess

I'm going to install new siding on our A-frame style cabin in the Willmar area. Leaning towards the vinyl or steel log siding that is available. The only steel that I came across was from the well known 'seamless' company so I expect that they will be a bit pricey for me, especially since they would need to come out and do the install. The total area for the cabin and unattached garage will only be about 8 square. I've done some siding in past with both steel and vinyl but I have not seen this log siding before.

Does anyone have any experience and opinions (good or bad)on the vinyl log siding?

the one i have used wasnt to bad to work with goes on just like double 4 goes on. its maintenance free. i would reccomend it. log siding itself, at the time, would have been cheaper to put on but its not as easy to take care of.

As a rule, a good siding job won't leave your door and window trim sunk in. The 1 1/8th J channel on account of the thicker siding will have to be addressed. So depending on what you have for trim will need to be dealt with. Butting 1 1/8th" J channel to brick molding or a nailing flange is barely acceptable. The brick molding should be furred out and wrapped in aluminum. The windows with a nailing flange should framed to a thickness of 1 1/2, go as wide as you like but 2" is good IMO. Those get a aluminum clad.

Other then that I say go for it.