• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting battery

gnfishn

Question

I just got back from Canada where I realized both batteries in my boat were shot. I'm considering using a standard automotive battery to start my 60 HP Mariner and run electronics in the boat. The reason being a much longer warranty. Is this a bad idea? The dual purpose deep cycle/starting batteries I've been getting just don't seem to last past two years. Will an automotive battery hold up to the rough conditions? Any insight guys?

3 answers to this question

Huh?

I just replaced my dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery about a week ago.

The date code sticker on the side was Mar 00. That's eight years. It was nothing special for a battery, just your typical Exide Nautilus group 24.

You'd have a tough time convincing me to use an automotive battery.

I have been using straight deep cycle for the starting battery for many years without issue. Some will say you should not do that since a starter battery is designed to give up current easier for the starter motor and that deep cycles are not. I feel as long as the cold cranking amp (CCA) rating of the battery meets or exceeds the recommendations from your outboard manufacturer, you should have no problem (and I have not had any problems). Just something to keep in mind if you are looking at new batteries.