• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opinions on alumacraft navigator 175 tiller

mrjigger

i have been looking at different boats. one is the 175 navigator tiller w/75 4st yammi.

please give opinions, ride, speed, etc. how well will it perform as an occasional bigger water boat like Mille Lacs.

also there will be times when i need to have 4 people in the boat. my wife and I as well as our two kids.

thanks

Just got a 165 tiller Navigator - I would think the 175 would handle bigger water occasionally. It gas a 25" transom and the 2XB bottom where as mine is a 20" and 2XV bow only - I have wave wackers which help alot with the waves coming over the back when backtrolling. I usually fish Prior, White Bear and occasionaly Minnetonka - it's ideal for those types of lakes. It was honking the Sunday of opener weekend and I was on Minnetonka - it was much drier than I would have imagined. Maybe an occasional splash but nothing major - did not need my raingear for the ride. Did not go full out in those conditions (20 - 23 mph) and got passed by many a Ranger - oh well I didn't spend 50K either. It's very wide and roomy with a good layout. I like that the 175 has livewells in both the front and back - I don't.

Top speed with a 60 Mercury 4S is just over 40 mps per the GPS with me and my 2 1/2 year old son, 1/2 tank of gas and an empty livewell. This drops to about 30 - 32 mph with me and my buddy, full livewell and ton's of fishing gear. Some of this is definately due to the fact I go to my 12 pitch prop to get hole shot back at the expense of top speed. With that load it get's on plane easily.

Have had my whole family on the boat once - Memorial day. Wife and two small kids. No problem. Again, it is very wide and open so the kids can run around without tripping. It isn't a pontoon but it it pretty close.

Won't go into the whole Lund vs Alumacraft debate - I looked at both (Pro Guide) and decided on the Navigator. I would definately buy one again.

I have a 2005 Alumacraft Navigator 175 with a 4-Stroke Yamaha. I love it. The boat has a ton of room. It is a great multi-species boat because of all that room. I fish Vermillion a lot and the boat has seen Mile Lacs. I have also had the boat up to Lower Manitou in Ontario. It handles big water just fine. It has a pretty smooth ride and because of the width it is fairly dry.

The huge gas tank is a bonus. On the trip to lower Manitou we spent four days fishing for muskies which involved a lot of driving. With the tank and the fuel injected Yammy I never had to add any of the spare gas I brought with.

The motor is quiet, fuel efficient and has plenty of power. I can get up to 36-37 mph with 1/4 tank of gas and just me in the boat. The only complaint I have about the motor is the junky steering tensioner that wore out quickly. The new Yamaha has a really nice tiller handle set-up with the Variable Trolling Speed Switch intergrated into the handle.

If you are fishing with your family you will really appreciate the room in the boat. It doesn't have a fancy rod locker with tubes but there is a good amount of storage.

I think you would really enjoy the boat if that is what you decide to go with.

thanks ptocko,

you have almost the same life I have right now. I got two small kids, 3 years and 3 months. Right now I have a bigger 182 crestliner tournament series with dual consoles.

Want to downsize because of various reasons. Mostly gas consumption. Currently I place my 3 year old in between my legs on the seat and steer with the steering wheel.

I am a little worried what to do with him when driving. Would not really feel comfortable setting him on his own seat yet going over bigger waves. Afraid he would fly out of the boat.

Not that I am complaining, but he won't let me leave the house withhout taking him fishing with me either.

Just curious, what you do with your 2 1/2 year old. Also going slow is not really an option either, my kid always want to go WOT. GO SUPER FAST DAD.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the 175 also has the 20" transom. Cant think of an aluminum tiller model that is made with a 25". Maybe the PRO-V.

Thanks for your help.

sorry Ptocko, your correct. The 175 does have the 25" transom. The dealer must have given me an old brochure. In there it says 20". Alumacraft HSOforum indicates 25"

Jigger - 2 1/2 and 11 month old boys. My older one is the same way - wants to go fishing all of the time which is cool. I usually have him in my lap if its relatively smooth - if its rough I have him sit on the floor right next to me.

Per the AC HSOforum - the 175 is a 25" transom. I did not look at the 175 seriously but I seem to remember the transom being a 25" versus a 20" on the 165. Can't swear by that but the spec sheet says 25" for the 175. I don't know if that makes a huge difference - especially when you add wave wackers EXCEPT for if all you do is backtroll in big water

I don't think you will be dissappointed - I really like how wide it is. Very stable and lots of room for the kiddies. I can't tell you about super big water (Mille Lacs, red, Leech etc) but I have been on those lakes in smaller boats so I think you would be okay. When it comes down to it - when those lakes are really rolling - it really doesn't matter what you're on, it's not going to be pleasant.

Biggest difference between the navigator and boats designed for big water (Ranger, Warrior, Yar Craft etc) is how fast you can go in those conditions. If you don't mind going a little slower - as I said above 21 - 23'ish - you will get there safely and maybe a little (and I mean a little, not rain gear) wetter. As I said, I am pleased with my purchase and would buy again in a heartbeat. Good luck on your purchase. Paul