• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storm Damage and Selecting a Contractor

Im not disagreeing with you , just saying a rough estimate is possible to give . I try to help homeowner out with the adjuster because many of them have no idea how to deal with the adjuster and could screw themselves.i also refuse to deal with them alone.I keep the homeowners in tune every step of the way.

Basically as their contractor it is your resopnsibility to help them along the way,not try to rape them for whatever you can get.Too many people look at this situation as a get rich quick deal

Last comment was not aimed at anyone just how I feel ...Please do not take offense.

Gotcha, I understand.

As for the roof price, none of the adjuster quotes go strictly by the square. You say you use Xactimate. If you look through it, there is no price even close to that for a per square price. I believe it is a little over $200 or so. Maybe the house had a spot for 4 square of I&W. Maybe it had multiple pipes or vents or chimneys to work around that other houses wouldn't. Maybe it had long valleys or 30 year shingles or is edging included or not. How many feet of architectural ridge is there? At $34 dollars per 20 feet of ridge, it isn't a simple pricing.

BTW, I haven't seen one set of paperwork yet that was correct the first time.

If you were there and met with the adjuster,is it safe to say that alot of time would have been saved and paperwork would have been right the 1st time?

Im not disagreeing with you , just saying a rough estimate is possible to give . I try to help homeowner out with the adjuster because many of them have no idea how to deal with the adjuster and could screw themselves.i also refuse to deal with them alone.I keep the homeowners in tune every step of the way.

Basically as their contractor it is your resopnsibility to help them along the way,not try to rape them for whatever you can get.Too many people look at this situation as a get rich quick deal

Last comment was not aimed at anyone just how I feel ...Please do not take offense.

I don't understand that comment. I have sent quotes for additional components to a job via email after the adjuster gives the OK. The only way a homeowner gets "raped" is on inferior work or materials.

Most of this is set amount between a contractor and what the ins. company is paying for. It is not like you are charging the homeowner his personal money.

ok lets say 24 sq roof gable no valleys,no f.p 6 vents.\

itemize all you want if you get around 250.00 per square your doin ok. that comes to 6000.00. you get the apprasial and they allow 9500.00...do you bid the 9500.00 then instead of the 6000.00 that you would normally bid it for?

lol noope.... no valleys edging was included.priced it for 3 tabs too.....was strt gable mod split. I couldnt believe it when i saw it.

Amazing. I see that as paying off the customer to settle a claim. I believe you, have seen it before. Customer made more money than I did, but I got my money legally.

ok lets say 24 sq roof gable no valleys,no f.p 6 vents.\

itemize all you want if you get around 250.00 per square your doin ok. that comes to 6000.00. you get the apprasial and they allow 9500.00...do you bid the 9500.00 then instead of the 6000.00 that you would normally bid it for?

It's not that drastic, but I see your point. No, we don't. We normally upgrade for free to laminates and the extra money is supposed to be sent back to the insurance company. Who does that?, nobody.......

Most of my estimates have been within a few hundred of what the adjuster figures using software and being fair.....IF the adjuster includes everything they are supposed to.

Wow, we need PM's here. LOL!

I'll say this, anyone who can't show their chosen contractor their paperwork, isn't worth working for because they are not trusting you as a contractor. That means, how can you trust them?...

Talk about get rich quick, I have heard that more from homeowners than contractors. Some come out, up front and say they want to make money on the claim. That's a good time to head for the truck.

exactly, thats how me and you do business but what about all these other jokers out there?? I know a few that would adjust their pricing to ge all the money allowed.I do not think that is right.get a fair price for for work completed and i'm happy.

What do you think of startin our own forum???? we can get on every night,have a 12 pack by our side and type to each other all night long...............

haha, that's funny. smile

Think of it this way, as a homeowner. Say you have your company's visa and told to use it for expenses on a business trip. If it was your own cash, maybe you would opt for something cheap like McDonalds......but with the company card you will probably go to Applebees, right?

Now, consider cash. The boss sends you to the store to buy paper. He gives you $100. You find it on sale and get it for $75. Would the boss be happy if you took that extra $25 and put it in your pocket? Probably not.

I see your point and that is why there is a profession in "storm chasing". High pressure salesman, a big name, and cheap materials and labor. The homeowner has no idea and it bothers me. Our small company has enough jobs already lined up, so I don't know why I waste my time helping people, except that people here are like me....outdoorsmen and live in MN. I believe in less jobs and more personal attention directly from the owner/operator to the homeowners.