• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha noise at idle

anchor man

I have a 2004Yam 4-stroke 150 and the last two seasons it has started making a higher pitched whirling sound at idle, instead of the usual quiet idling from seasons before. It runs perfectly, and has been professionally winterized each time. Just curious why it would all of a sudden start sounding different one Spring. Any thought?

Thanks

Is it a squeak like a noisy fanbelt on a car engine? If it is, it's pretty common with Yamaha 4-strokes. There is a place under the motor where you can shoot a little silicone spray in there to quiet it down.

Maybe I'll pop the cover this weekend and see if it's a belt. I do also hear the squeal from time to time from the bushing (that's what I've been told it is), and the whirling at idle is something different than that.

Thanks