• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tight lipped brookies!!!

youngie22

Hey guys, lookin' for some hints or pointers from you pro's out there. Yesterday I was fishing some brook trout holes. I could not get one on to shore, had one bite that I messed up. I am confident I didn't spook them but, I threw everything and the kitchen sink at them. Stayed at single holes for 30 to 45 minutes. This was very frustrating watching all these white tipped beauties ignore everything. So my question is what are your go to lures, baits, techniques, tactics, etc... Can any one enlighten this frustrated novice??? Any thing you can do is greatly appreciated, thanx guys!!!

You could see them? Usually its tough when you can see them. I've found that failing a bite with artificials, just an inch or two of crawler drifted with as little (preferrably zero) weight will pick up a few bites, particularly if you drift it right past their nose.

4 lb test, small hook (no snell or snap swivel, tied direct!) and crawlers - almost impossible NOT to catch fish smile

I have to recommend my personal favorites.. 1/8 oz Rainbow Trout Kastmaster or a 1/32 oz Yellow and red spotted Panther Martin...

sometimes they won't bit on hardware, sometimes they won't take flies, and sometimes they won't take anything. One morning I was rather frustrated and tried everything up to and including size 32 trico's on 8x tippet - nada, nothing. I had them feeding all around me and I ended up catching one by just placing my net into the water (released him of course). But that's the fun.

Is it that trying to get a sunning trout to bite would be next to impossible.

Then again I've seen aggresive trout strike down a plain old lead sinker, and nothing else. Which gets me thinking, what kind of lure do I have that's just a plain old lead sinker...unfortunately that plain old unpainted jig head never seems to catch them. That's got me baffled...

mostly you just gotta downsize, REALLY sneak up on them, and use light line. That's your best chance. I tend to go for naturals, like a small fly or soft bait (or crawler) drifted naturally with the current. precision casting is key too