• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 Wisconsin Turkeys

HNTNBUX

I have hunted the same area in Wisconsin for four years now and have had no luck with decoys in the May seasons. Every time I use a decoy the Turkeys run away as soon as they see it. The last several years I have been just calling them and setting up in feeding areas to wait them out.

Wednesday morning started out how it always does in the field I hunt, slow. I saw my first jake at 0830 after calling and three more jakes at 1030. All of them walked right past my blind at about 25 yards. About 1045 I saw two hens leaving the adjacent field that I do not have permission to hunt just like they always do. That is my key that the Toms are alone will be on the prowl.

At 1200 I saw a lone Tom feeding in the field about a 100 yards away and feeding away from me. A couple of yelps from my mouth call and he was on his way. I had to reposition the camera and open the other side of the blind as he closed in. It was so windy that when he tried to strut three times it looked like he was going to blow over. When he got inside 40 yards I didn't waste any time and dropped him. I don't know what it weighed and it has short spurs but a 9 3/4" beard. I usually like to use my bow in Wisconsin but I didn't make the time to practice this year so I knew the shotgun was my best bet.

After registering and cleaning my bird I was back in another blind on another farm with a friend by 1430. On the way to join him I saw a Tom and hen in the field and three jakes on the trail. The turkeys appeared to be out in force on this farm. After about an hour we move the blind to a new spot and set up for the evening between the field where the Tom was and where we figured they would try to roost. By about 1800 we were surrounded by turkeys. I think it was 13 hens and jakes that walked and fed past our blind when two jakes walked by the blind at less than five yards. I know now that they were jakes but I swear their beards were swinging and the excitement got the best of us as they walked away. My friend Brian drew his bow and made a great 28 yard shot and hit the bird in the neck just after I got the camera turned on and on the bird. It flew straight up in the air about twenty feet, came down about 15 yards from the blind and took off running. The bird fell over about sixty yards from the blind. More turkeys kept coming so we waited about 30 minutes and snuck out of the woods. Brians bird had about a 5-6" beard for a jake, again not sure of the weight or spurs.

That night another of our friends, Steve, arrived who could not get off of work on Wednesday. Thursday morning found us all packed into the DB DH in the woods. By 1030 we had seen two hens, two jakes and one Tom at about 100 yards through the woods. Brian was going to run into town and register his bird from the day before and had just got out of the blind when he heard a gobble less than a hundred yards from us. I yelped a couple times and was cut off by a gobble. We all got back inside the blind and I called again. Another gobble and it was getting closer. Again the turkeys were coming from the wrong way and we had to reposition everything in the blind and open the back side windows. I yelped one more time when everything was set and the bird responded less than 50 yards at the top of a hill and following a fenceline right to us. I had to video over Steves shoulder and through one of the shooting windows as two toms searched for the source of the calls at about thirty five yards. Steve passed on the first Tom through the opening because he might have hit the second Tom. But when the second Tom was in the clear Steve dropped him in the fence line. Steves bird had a 9 1/2" beard and nice spurs.

I have two more tags for upcoming seasons and can't wait to get back. I have one farm that we didn't even hunt yet and two other great ones to choose from. I wish getting permission to deer hunt was as easy as getting permission to hunt turkeys. I will try to get Wanderer to post pictures later.

Thanks for posting the pictures Wanderer. You certainly got the sizing down. I leave for Wisconsin again as soon as I get off work at 0400. Hopefully you can come over and show me how to do this stuff soon.

Thanks Again.