• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kennel Cough Vacination question

Rip_Some_Lip

I am going to be taking my springer to a boarding kennel for a week at the end of the month. I reserved a spot at a local kennel by Winnebago. The kennel is at a farm place and has indoor/outdoor kennels so she can go in or out. I asked the owner if I needed to get a kennel cough vaccination and how far in advanced. She told me that is was a waste of money basically and I didn't need it. I don't know a lot about it so I am asking for advice from this great resource. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Putting your dog in the perfect environment to get kennel cough. I had just a couple dogs get kennel cough in the past 40 years in similar situations. They cough for a week and then are all right so I would agree with the kennel owner waste of money. Your dog may not ever get kennel cough.

Get the vaccination! If they get kennel cough and it 'sets in', you'll be giving antibiotics for 2-4 weeks. The vaccine is just a liqid aspirated into the nostirls... piece of cake. Most reputable kennels and triners require it for a dog to be boarded at their kennel.

Good Luck!

Ken

I would be more concerned about the kennel that does not require kennel cough vac. Do they require proof of other vaccines?

Boarding dogs outside the cities is certainly much less costly, but you still need to make sure the facility is clean and safe.

Neighbor dog had kennel cough once. It was loud and last about 10 days.