• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop advice

Jimmy

Question

I have a 150 hp Evirude powering a 17' bassboat. The prop I have on there is a 14 1/2" X 24" stainless steel. Now the problem is top rpm's are 4500, but the top end speed is only 46 mph. My question is how do I get my speed up? Usually your rpm's are higher with higher speeds right? Now if I went to a higher pitched prop wouldn't that lower the rpm's even more and in turn keep the boat at a lower speed? Or is the pitch already too high? Could there possibly be some throttle adjustments that need to be done? My hole shot is great, 0-25 in about 5 sec. and it stays on plain down to about 25 mph. Any advice about what to do for better performance would be greatly appriciated.

Jimmy

[This message has been edited by Jimmy (edited 08-10-2002).]

1 answer to this question

jimmy to get more rpm, to need to go with less pitch. are you running a 3 or 4 blade? i would think if yours is a 3 you should be able to turn more rpms, but each boat and motor can be different. i run 13 3/4 dia four blades on my 364 ranger with a johnson 175. my main prop is a 25 pitch. i can trim this to the hilt and run just up to the max rpms for my motor. my back up is the same but a 23 pitch. with this one i have to be careful of my rpms, but does give me a better hole shot when carrying more weight, and i use it in rough water to get on plane faster. talk to some of your buddies to see if they would have other props for you to try. del