• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard oil

Question

I was talking to a guy who uses the "Shipmate" injection oil in his Evinrude outoard motor, and claims he likes it better than buying the Evinrude oil from a dealer at $17 a gallon. I saw Shipmate at Fleet Farm for $7 a gallon. Anyone use this and would you use it in a 3 year old motor?

It appears the ingredients are the same and it is all warrantee certified. Any opinions?

7 answers to this question

Hey CD, my girlfriend's Dad has been using that oil for years now in his 70 Merc, probably 8-10 years old. He hasn't had any problems with it.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 06-25-2002).]

Just an FYI, check with you dealer to see if they sell bulk oil. I buy mercury oil in the bulk for 12.99 a gallon. I just have to bring my own jug. Check to see if you can. It saves a few bucks.

I've used gallons of the stuff in a 75 evinrude, also gallons of Cenex oil. they are always a good deal. All of the newer TCW oils are miles ahead in their additive packages compared to what was available only 10 years ago. This oilguy has always felt matching your lube brand to your outboard was pretty anal.

I use Shipmate all the time in my 1996 28hp Evinrude 2 smoke motor....Did I say 2 smoke??? I guess I did. Anyway it has worked great for me, and prior to this I had a 8hp Evinrude and used it for years in that. I wouldn't worry a bit about using it.

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

Ive never used anything but injex I think thats how you spell it. black and purple bottle, I have used that as long as I can remember and I have never had any problems with any of my motors. Fishing motors hunting motors We even use it in our chain saws And im in a family tree busness we run the [PoorWordUsage] out af our saws and we have never hatched one... I trust it and you will never get me to switch

Well, I just had to try some different oil and see how it performed. I am sick of buying $17/gallon OMC oil when I can get the same oil (requirements/ingredients) for less than half the price.
To tell the truth, my engine runs better with the "cheap" stuff and less smoke than using the OMC regular oils. Starts quicker and it doesn't carbon up as bad either. So far so good!
Thanks for everyone's opinions!

OIL?? Well there is probably what 10 different brands out there? Well I can tell you most of those oils come from the same barrell just died different colors!! So stick with the cheaper oil!! I have been told this by three different dealers/mechanics!!