• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I want to spend a few days in Vilas Co. in late Jan. or early Feb for CC skiing, a day on a rented snowmobile, and ice fishing. I want to rent a small cottage directly on a good lake. I plan on taking a day trip to Ashland or Bayfield to ice fish on Superior but most fishing will be done on the lake where the cabin is. Can anyone recommend a good lake that has several cabin rentals to choose from? I am sure I won't find a bad one but just looking for a little direction, thanks!

Us and another couple usually stay at a cottage on Big St. for New Years weekend but they maybe rented out this year. There is a motel in town we are going to stay at. Great fishing on that lake and many around there. There is good places to eat and a two bait shops.A friend of mine has a great Friday fishfry at his bar on the Rainbow Flowage and has a tourment in Jan. It is only a few miles away . If you need any info contact me at [email protected]. I live only an hour away so I get up there alot. Deer season starts Sat the 17th so I won't be at the puter tiil next week.

Today I have been browsing the wi dnr site and saw Fallison Lake is listed as having an abundance of trout and no other species even listed as present. I doubt this is terribly accurate but is it a good spot to try for lakers? From my looking I can tell I will want to come on a regular basis since some lakes seem to bew good for walleye, some good for pike etc and a lot of fairly deep water to check out.

FishinJohn,

I live in NW Vilas near Winchester/Manitowish Waters. What kind of fish did you want to catch? LAte JAnuary to early Feb is a TOUGH time to be fishing...It all of course depends on the weather, but we can have brutal conditions that time of year....with poor fishing....or we can have fair weather with a fair bite...lots of choices...Popes Lodge on Lower Gresham could be a great option as there are decent panfish in that lake, along with the occaional snot rocket....Fawn Lake lodge would be a good option on the Manitowish Water chain, that would be more walleye/northern fishing...???? what are you looking for?