• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

generator question?

fivebucks

Question

I know this isn't a fishing topic but there are alot of knowledgible people out there.

I am looking to pick up a generator, something around 3000 - 3500 watts and I like the Hondas due to reliability and being quiet. The part I have a hard time with is the $1000 - $1200 they want for them. You can get other brands for over half that price.

Does anyone have any experience with other brands or Honda that may help me make a decision. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Fivebucks.

2 answers to this question

I have the Honda 1000i, this thing is so freakin quiet! I ice fished near some people last year, by near I mean probably 1/3 of a mile away, they had a larger generator, not sure of the name brand, but I could literally hear his generator over my generator while standing outside my house! My suggestion is to pay the extra money, they are well worth it in size, noise and reliabilty! And gas, I can run my unit for 8-10 hours on 0.6 gallons.

Another suggestion I might make is this, the sell a model exactly like my 1000, but it is a 2000, same package size etc. The advantage of these units is you can buy a cable to connect them in parallel, to provide you with 4000 watts, if you had two 2000's. I am not sure of your purpose for this generator, but 95% of the time people have more generator than they really need. This option would allow you to by one 2000 watt unit now, see how it works for you and then if you need more juice by a second one to connect in parallel for the times when you do need more juice.

Oh and one more things, I don't know if you have a Northern Tool near you, but they will price match anything! So what I did was searched the internet for the cheapest price no matter where it was, and brought it into the store and they gave it to me for that price. I would suggest doing the same, I bought my for $200 less than they were selling it for!

Good Luck!

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 06-11-2002).]

Thanks Grabs,
i do have a northern near my house. I didn't think of connecting the two gen. I would want to run a circular saw on it so I figure I need about 2500 watts to start up.
Thanks.