• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More prop questions!

Scoot

Question

I have a 17' 1998 Alumacraft 1700 Tournament series boat with a 2000 115 hsp 4-stroke Yammy on the back. The prop we have on it now is not the right one- it's a 21 and the max rps varies from 4600 to 5000. I know it's not the right prop...
What prop would people suggest I try next? I'm not worried about top end speed. My two real concerns are treating my motor right so it will last a long time and hole-shot. Anyone have any suggestions?
Scoot

2 answers to this question

What is the Max rpm operating range of that motor? Going down in pitch will raise your WOT rpm by about 200 rpm. Dropping down to a 20 pitch will raise to about 5200 rpm. A 4 or five blade prop will give you slightly better hole shot and less cavitation. Going to stainless prop will give some advantage due to less flex in the blades under load, the increased weight will operate more efficiently a high rpm due to the centrifugal force. But you dont want to hit a rock with one.

Rob

If you want to stick with aluminum, I'd recommend a Solas 13 3/8 X 17. They aren't too expensive and have interchangeable hubs, allowing one prop to work on a variety of engines. I'm running a 13 1/2 X 15 on a Lund 1800 pro v and and with a full load, (40 gal. fuel, 2 livewells, mass gear 2 guys) It runs 38 @ 5700. the suggested prop combo for that motor should allow you to max out between 5800 and 6000!