• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lookin to keep my filet knife sharp

Question

as the subject puts it bluntly.
i want to keep my knife sharp. what would work the best for this?
it is a Buck 226.
Thanx in advance
Monty

5 answers to this question

A major point in keeping your knives sharp is the surface you use to clean fish or game upon.

A Lansky or like knife sharpening system, and a good honing steel will keep your knife up to par, but if you chose to clean on a surface that is too hard the edge will dull quickly.

I have been using the Captain Stubby portable fish cleaning board system this season and find it's maple wood construction easy to clean and easy on the knife. Too hard of a surface, such as Mylar, will dull a blade in a few strokes across the surface of the board, not so on the Captain Stubby fish & game cleaning boards.

With a proper working surface all you will need it an occasional stroke on the steel and you will keep the knife razor sharp.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

so far i have just grabbed a piece of wood to clean the fish on. not sure of the type of wood though. and afterwords i did not even bother to clean it i tossed it.

will have to look into one fo these boards you talk about BE.
thanx

Monty

If your knife gets really dull, the crock sticks or steel methods wont work so well. Try a diamond coated stone (looks like a steel plate with dots or similar pattern.
This will allow you to reshape the edge quickly and the work better that any natural or ceramic stone. You can then keep the blade sharp with the crock sticks or steel.

A wood surface will not significantly dull the blade unless it is some exotic tropical stuff with silica deposits like teak. The bones and scales of the fish have more of a dulling effect than wood.

I purchased an electric knife and just got around to using it - I LOVE IT! It works so great! No dull spots, and I saved a lot more meat using it. Yep this is the only way to go.

------------------
Phyl