• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low voltage warning

wastewaterguru

Question

My depthfinder has a low voltage warning setting feature. Can anyone tell me what voltage I should set it at so that my outboard will still start?

6 answers to this question

I'd start by setting it at about 11.6 volts. A fully charged 12 volt battery should read 13.4 volts. Once you start dropping below 12 volts, the current output of the battery is getting suspect. If you have ever watched the voltage drop on batteries during starting, you'll find out that poorly charged batteries drop way below 12 volts. Well charged batteries will not drop much on voltage during starting. What you want to monitor is battery condition under a load. The load is likely the live well pump, running lights, depth finder, etc. Things that operate even if the main motor isn't. You may have to experiment to find you're comfort zone, because if you set it too high, you will get nuisance alarms when some things turn on.

My depthfinder has a low voltage warning setting feature. Can anyone tell me what voltage I should set it at so that my outboard will still start?

That will probably be something that you'll have to figure out by the "guess and check" method. All motors are different, and all batteries are different. Some batteries actual voltage my fluctuate more than others. If it was me, I would set it just below 12 volts and see if it proves effective. Somebody has got to have better advice than this.