• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluegills

Bryon

Can anyone give me some insight on the patterns of Bluegills from late Fall to first ice to mid winter, where to look for them, how deep? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Generally look for Bluegills to be in shallow bays and in weeds at late fall into first ice. Depending on snow cover and ice thickness, these fish will begin to move to deeper water during mid-winter as the oxygen levels deplete. Look for them at the mouth of shallow bays at the first break into deep water, they will also migrate to deep holes with a soft bottom and deep rock piles. Big "Bull"gills can be very shy, if you find some, dont send your bait down the hole like a missle. Instead slow fall your bait and begin to jig as it decends. One and two pound test with small micro baits work best. Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Well to expand on what D-man said, once you figure out the Bluegill pattern you will find that most lakes are similar. Early and late ice you will find the gills in the shallower, well oxygenated bays or flats. Areas where deeper water leads to shallow flats or a bay. Most lakes these areas are better in the AM & PM but when a lake is "on" the bite is good all day. As for the mid winter, look for gills where you have shallow water leading to deep water, with a gentle slope down. In the AM & PM they will use the shallow water for feeding and will spend most of the day deep. When you find them deep they will be either tight to the bottom, usually 19-23 feet of water, sometimes deeper depending on the lake. Occasionally they will suspend over that same deeper water and can be very hard to catch because they move constantly. When you find them right on the bottom in deep water, that is usually you best bet to get "biting" fish. If you can get them to come off the bottom a little, you have fish that will bite.

To find the real "Bulls" in mid winter I would focus on those suspended fish over deep water or the Morning/Evening bite in shallow water. Not all the bluegill in the lake will use the shallows during mid winter, but good numbers of "bulls" will. The same areas that spearers target are great areas to look for Bulls in the shallows, as long as it is near deep water(providing the lake has deep water).

These are some places to start. I think I could type all day on this subject as I spend a good portion of the year chasing Bulls. This should give you somewhere to start.ScottS

It has been an odd year for gills down here. My pattern that has worked for the larger gills and redears in years past, hasn't produced this year. I have found all of my bigguns in deep water(25 to 30 feet)belly to the bottom. It is a pain because they will not show on the vex so you have to drill and fish many more holes. Some of these fish have been real reluctant biters, I had to put the thinking cap on. I have been tieing on a #16 hook with 3 spikes 18 inches below some split shot heavy enough to make my slip bobber sink ever so slowly. It is not efficient but it has put some slabs on the ice.

Here in n.central Il. the gravel pits I fish are holding gills deep and constantly moving, one minute both pole are going crazy then nothing for an hour. I've also noticed the crappies and blue gills picking up the wax worm and swimming up slacking the line more than I've ever seen before? Don't know whats up with that. I have a neighboor who is a marine bioligist he tells me not to fish the deepest parts because of the lack of oxygen? Well good luck!

Well we have all noticed the same thing this year. The Gills are deep and right on the bottom. Some of those fish do venture in the shallows in the evening but for the most part they are glued to the bottom. This is a good thing. Gills can be hard to get to bite during mid day and I get excited when I find them on the bottom in deep water. Usually you can get these fish to bite and usually mid-day is the best time.

As for my equipment when chasing Gills,I like to use genz worms in deep water or the best are some custom jigs that I have had made from Scenic Tackle. The important thing is that the jig fishes heavy enough to get down there without a sinker. Fish on the bottom usually bite very light and the key is to get them to come off the bottom for your jig, "to commmit". When you see this happen a dead still "keep away" approach is usually the best. As someone mentioned earlier watching your line is sometimes the best thing to do. Since the fish are coming up for your hook they will "bump" it up, causing slack in your line. This slack would be undetectable if you were fishing with a sinker.

Even though you are fishing during mid-day, it is dark down there in that deep water, I prefer I hook that has some glow to it, not necessarily a hook that is total glow. And, as far as using bobbers, I use Ice Busters all the time when I am stationary, on one rod. The other rod is fished using the vex and is my active rod. I never use bobbers when I am "chasing" the gills but when you are on them and don't have to move nothing beats an Ice Buster.ScottS

Mouse, as for what I use. I have several graphite rods that are very sensitive. I use 2 pound test and have been trying Vanish out this year. I have been very impressed with it so far. When I use a bobber, I use Ice Busters because first they are a great bobber and second, you can trim them to just the right size for the hook you are using. Most of the time however, I am chasing around and rely on my light line and graphite rods to indicate a bite. Hopefully this helps.ScottS

Not sure about the info on deep water and oxygen. The biologist here in MN have always told us that in certain lakes fish are forced into deeper water when the oxygen depletes in shallow water. You will always find fish in mid-winter on deep holes. I have found that the rod your using for big bluegills is very important. The highest of quality graphite blanks work the best with a 1 to 2 pound test low stretch flourocarbon line. The key here is not to use a float. Small micro jigs will decend well on the light pound test. As described above when fish are feeding from below, the line will go slack. Its important to use enough weight or a heavy enough micro jig to pull out any slack or coils in the line. The line should be straight all the way down. Too many bites go undetected with a float with these big bluegills. These fish suck the bait in so fast and your waiting for the float to go down you wind up spooking the fish after they just got a mouth full of lead. So any time you see slack in the line or your line suddenly stops as its decending, drive that hook home!!. Good Luck D-man

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I, for one, NEVER use a bobber for gills.
A big gill can inhale a jig and spit it out so quickly, that(unless you possess superhuman reflexes) by the time you notice the bobber twitch, reach for the rod and set the hook, it is usually too late.
I go with a noodle-type rod, light line, no weight and (my personal favorite) a Ratfinke.
I have found over the years that the horizontally oriented lures such as the Ratfinke fair a tad better than the vertically oriented lures such as a ant or other similar lure. These horizontal lures provide a better hookset, and more closely resemble what these fish are looking for. (but of course this is just my opinion)
Using a noodle-type rod will allow the detection of even the slightest bite and gives almost zero resistance that big gills can feel causing them to spit the hook.
The deep water pattern is one that I usually try first when hitting a new lake. I'll zero in on the deepest portion and watch my flasher for suspended fish. This usually yields the biggest gills in any given body of water as well as mid-day crappie. Once I locate fish over deep water during mid-day, I then try to locate the nearest structure such as a good weedline, cabbage being the best, or the nearest point or hump. The crappie, as well as gills will gravitate to these spots once the light begins to fade.
Do not let anyone tell you that bluegills stop biting after the sun goes down. I have had some of my best big gill bites as late as 2AM!! Bluegill, like pike, have fairly poor night vision, unlike a walleye or crappie, therefore keeping your jig glowing is a must. If they see it they will come.....
Good Luck
perchstrike.gif
>"////=<

D-Man, I have a few areas I like to fish. Generally Park Rapids/Walker areas. For the Huge bulls I like to fish South Dakota & Iowa. As for the Aitkin area, I fish a few lakes along 6 Crosby/Emily/Outing/Fifty Lakes areas. I am always lookig for new lakes with Bulls in. If you have any you want to share I would love to hear. I am up in that area quite a bit, so if you want to get together sometime I would be up for it.ScottS