• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice shelters

scraper

Does anyone know how the Shappell dx3000
ice shelter compares with other types of shelters? Seems like a good buy for the buck.
Any info would be appreciated.

------------------

A friend of mine has the shappel. It was light and it did the job, but to me it looked to be a little on the cheap side. The staples around the bottom look like they won't hold up for very long. Cabelas has a kit for a 5x6 that you build the floor for. It will fold up to a 3x5. It is on sale right noe for around 80 bucks. It comes with everything except the wood for the floor and the hinges where it folds. with a 1/2 inch floor it doesn't weigh too much for one person to handle.

Scraper - sounds like your in the same spot I was a few weeks back. I looked at the Shappels mainly because of cost, but after shopping around & asking alot of questions I decided to instead buy a Glacier III from Shipping Minn. They're about the same price as a dlx3000 and most people had good things to say about them. I haven't gotten mine yet (it's only been 3 days) but i'll repost once I receive it and let you know what I think.

I have an older Shappell and its held up really well except for the doors inside that cover the holes. The hinge on one pulled out of the plastic.
The fabric is holding up really well. Zippers too. A little too light weight when your setting up in any wind, have to get snow around the base right away.

I also bought the Cabelas house and just got done building that. I used 3/4 in plywood and its still not overly heavy. It is a pretty nice house and you can do what ever you want with the hole size and positions, so thats cool.

Have them both and have great luck so far.
Jeremy

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!