• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS software

wayner

Question

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP76, and was wondering if anyone out there had suggestions on which is the best software to purchase for it. Any help please?
Thanks, Wayner

10 answers to this question

I have the map76 and both the Lakemaster and Fishing Hotspots. If I had to choose just one it would be the fishing Hotspots. You can load lake maps and all of the hotpots on the lake will transfer so when you zoom in you get the lake detail, depths,hotspots, and breaks on the GPS screen. The lake master is good too but you do not have the ability to load the actual lake map as far as I can tell, just waypoints. The lakemaster is a bit more user friendly. The Fishing Hotspots is twice the price of the lakemaster. As always you get what you pay for. Both are good.

Thanks Pherris for the info. I am wondering what lakes you fish mostly. Are they bigger lakes? Does the software work on smaller lakes also or just bigger ones? I'm from Austin and will fish mostly lakes in the faribault and mankato area, but do go further north one week each summer.
Thanks, wayner

The lakemaster software is what you need!! It is a must if you are a serious fisherman. The GPS coordinates are right on, and the realbottom maps are unblievable.

I also have the MAP76 and what you are looking for are two different things I think. Mapping software that provides detailed outlines of the lakes is one thing and then lakemaster which provides very detailed contours of bottom structure. Personally all I need is the lakemaster software, but if you are a night fisherman you may need some better mapping software then the base map that comes with the MAP76. You will not be dissapointed in the Lakemaster Software, I can't say enough about how nice it is.ScottS

The Hotspots map when loaded has more than just the lake outline it has the depth contours, break lines, will even show submerged vegetation, sand bottom, rock piles, and so on. The Lakemaster 1 foot contour maps can not be beat for bottom detail. I think the lakemaster 101 CD has the 3 or 5 foot contours the same as the Hotspots. As I mentioned before the Lakemaster is more user friendly and as ScottS said it will give more detail of the lake structure if compared side by side with the hotspots. I really have been impressed with the Map76 unit. No complaints.

I have been very happy with the Map76 also. The old problem with the Fishing Hotspots was that there were only 4 lakes available in MN. That has recently changed and they offer many more lakes now. Personally I love the Lakemaster software and if I get any other software it will be the lakes & waterways CD that Garmin sells, that gives you a much better basemap.ScottS

ScottS:

Does the lakes and waterways replace the basemap that the Garmin comes preinstalled with?

I have the Garmin 168 Sounder and I also have the LakeMap software. I got the MN unlock code.

I'm a little confused with the whole map software thing....a more detailed basemap would be great!

Thanks!