• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bilge pump quandry

wastewaterguru

Question

Hey, I bought a boat last year with all this dump installed already.

I have a bilge switch on the dash, but it just has an off/on switch with no "auto" position.

If I'm out fishing in the heavy rain or heavy waves or (God forbid) I spring a leak, how do I know when it's time to turn the **** thing on and how do I keep from running the thing dry? If I'm fishing, I don't like the thought of having to open the plug cap in the transom and visually inspect it every half hour.

How hard is it and how much money would it cost to replace/modify the existing pump so that it operates on a float switch? What type of switch do you use for this?

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

3 answers to this question

You can install a float switch in the bilge.You can get them from Cabelas or Bass Pro.I have also seen them at Gander Mountain.Just install it in the lowest part of your bilge.An auto float switch is nice but I can tell you it probably isn't neccessary.My old boat leaked so much but would still float with better than 60 gallons of water in it.If you are taking on that much water in a days fishing the best thing to do is what I did GET A NEW BOAT!

You can listen to the tone of the pump to tell if it is pumping water.A higher pitch usually means that there is no water in the bilge,lower its pumping.Or just look over the side where the discharge is to see if water is coming out.

i would recommend an automatic bilge available from cabelas.No float switch; it comes on every 15 seconds when turned on and if no water is present, shuts off, It doesnt burn out this way and uses very little juice. My old boat leaked quite a bit and this was just the ticket for me as i rent a boat slip for the year on mill lacs and i could leave the switch on for a week at a time