• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Gas

8-Ball

Question

Hi All- Wondering if it is o.k. to let the gas gauge in my boat get down to about 1/2 full and then refill, or should I run it to almost empty to "clean out" the old gas? I have not run it down to empty and have been doing the above way for 2-3 years-is this not a good idea? Does the old gas mix around w/ the new so it does not matter? Or should I run it "dry" and pull it to a station to re-fill? Thanks in advance...

3 answers to this question

I seen no reason to, you keep filling it with new gas right? It all mixes and works through the system. Probably the only time I'd ever think of running it all the way down is before winter if I haven't used the boat too much before storage, that way I'd know the tank was filled with the freshest gas for the long winter.

[This message has been edited by mnrstrider (edited 07-13-2004).]

i would just add , that if you think the boat will be sitting for a while to add a stabilizer to the gas. it will save you in the long run. ( i bought a used boat this spring that the guys didn't winterize it.wouldn't hardly run. just had the carbs torn apart and clean) del

Yep- I put in new gas to "top it off" when re-filling up. I thought what I was doing was o.k.- just wanted some feedback on it from others to put me at ease.. Thanks for replies!