• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar - hockey puck transducers

Evenflow

Question

I'm looking into using my FL-18 during the summer on my trolling motor. Does anyone have a strong opinion as to which angle transducer to get? I'll be using it mostly on eyes in 10-35 feet of water. I understand the benefits of going both wide and narrow beam. I'm looking for someone who has used one or both of them and your thoughts. Thanks.

Evenflow

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.

3 answers to this question

I just did this, I put on a 12 deg xducer. I wish I had put on the wider one on the troller as it is difficult if not impossible to keep your bait in the cone unless you are anchored and vertical jigging. Not to mention if your troller is running, you risk wrapping the line around the prop if you want to see your bait!

The wider angle transducer may only make this a little better.

TL

I also just did this. I purchased the 12 degree transducer in the trolling motor kit.
The 12 degree works great, but don't plan on vertical jigging under it and seeing your bait 100% of the time, if much at all. It works well if anchored or not using the trolling motor, but like mentioned you risk getting the line in the trolling motor.
The 19 degree isn't going to make that big of difference here. I would stick with the 12, they are selling nearly 95% 12 degree units now.

I also purchased the Pro-mount, very good design and really low profile! For $13 I would add this to your selection and if you want extra bases are only $7!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 05-22-2003).]