• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cruizin' with my Yammy...

kwkfsh

Question

My motor tops out at about 5800 rpms. It's a 4-stroke 115 Yammy. I've always followed the conventional wisdom of not approaching the top rpm's when I'm running from spot to spot. Typically, I'll run at about 4600 to 4800- it's plenty fast and I assumed used less fuel.
However, I've heard recently that this isn't necessarily true. Is it true that 4-strokes will get better fuel efficiency and be easier on the motor when they're run at higher rpms (like 5300 to 5500)? For the life and health of my motor, what's the ideal rpms to run it at? For fuel efficiency, what's the ideal rpms to run it at? If these aren't the same, what's the ideal compromise to run it at?
Scoot

1 answer to this question

My motor tops out at about 5800 rpms. It's a 4-stroke 115 Yammy. I've always followed the conventional wisdom of not approaching the top rpm's when I'm running from spot to spot. Typically, I'll run at about 4600 to 4800- it's plenty fast and I assumed used less fuel.
However, I've heard recently that this isn't necessarily true. Is it true that 4-strokes will get better fuel efficiency and be easier on the motor when they're run at higher rpms (like 5300 to 5500)? For the life and health of my motor, what's the ideal rpms to run it at? For fuel efficiency, what's the ideal rpms to run it at? If these aren't the same, what's the ideal compromise to run it at?
Scoot