• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Finder Won't power on

Question

I'm having trouble with my fish finder.

Late last year it wouldn't power on. I checked the obvious - the power from the battery. Using a multi-meter I got a positive test from both of the leads, so I concluded the main unit was bad. After all, if there was power, there was really only one other thing that could be wrong - the main unit could be dead.

Since it is relatively new (a Humminbird 400TX) I didn't want to just replace. I checked with the warranty people and they gave me an RMA.

This is where it gets interesting. I returned it and got it back with the message "Could not re-create problem", implying the unit works fine.

I am completely stumped. Any ideas? The only thing I can possibly think of is that the contacts are dirty or that somehow the fuse is bad even though it tested positive with the multi meter.

So far I've ordered a new power cord, because I figured it would be a good thing to have an extra of. But beyond that, I have no idea.

3 answers to this question

First off did the unit ever work? Second Hummingbird units were known to have power problems with the powerheads. I have seen cases with all most all styles of these units. 200's, 300's, 400's. I would tell techsonic that you would like a new powerhead. They have and should warranty a unit like that.

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

The fuse holder is a common culprit for this intermediate power failure deal.

Try this once.

Open the fuse link and slip the plastic ends down the wire.

Clean up the contact ends with some fine grit paper.

This is the key, stretch the spring a bit to increase the tension on the fuse in the holder.

Many times the spring will weaken and loose contact with the fuse, then the electronics will spike or shut down.

See if that helps any?