• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

70 HP Evinrude Steering Cable

Question

I have an Evinrude with console steering and the shaft that runs through the motor base (at the end of the cable) is bent. Am I going to have to replace the whole cable, or can that shaft just be replaced, and how does it come out? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

5 answers to this question

Do you mean the end of the cable, or the shifting rod that goes from powerhead down to lower unit ?

If it's the end of cable is not replaceable, but they are not too expensive.
What's the lenght you need ? I can see if I have some.

Valv, It's the end of the steering cable, has the long shaft, about 18" long I am guessing. For right now, I got it straightened out pretty good, steering turns alot easier again, but haven't had it out on the water. I am thinking it's about 8' long, (the cable)
Any idea how you get that shaft out of the motor? Thanks for your reply.

Rod Holder,

There should be a big (1-1/8" or 1-1/16" wrench size) nut on the starboard side of the motor where the steering cable goes into the tilt tube (the part that the motor pivots about when trimmed / tilted). Unscrew the nut and un-hook the steering link (connected to the center of the motor and goes to the left side of the motor where it connects to the steering cable - remove the lock nut and two washers and slide the cable out... if you're lucky. If you're not lucky you may have to un-bolt the motor and lift it up some to slide the cable out, depending on how much space you have.

If you are going to replace the steering cable though, you could just cut the cable back by the motor and remove it that way.. but you still may have to lift the motor to get the new one in...

good luck!

marine_man