• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drag washer maintanence help?

Blackstarluver

Question

Hi all! I was just testing some of my baitcast and spinning reels drags. I found that on some of my spinning reels the drag was very loose and doesn't get really tight 'til I almost wrench the thing to lock the drag nut. I also noticed while checking some of my baitcasters drags that they slip, when I pull the line out it comes easy then tight then easy et al. I store my reels with the drag off. I was wondering if I should take apart the reels pull the drag washers apart then oil and clean them. Heres the rub, what in your experience is the best way to mainain a smooth drag?
Thank you.
JC

2 answers to this question

I have a Daiwa Millionaire baitcaster that is around 8 years old. I leave the drag on between uses in the summer but leave it off during the winter . About every other year I take it apart and oil it up and twice now I've replaced the drag washers because it's just not smooth and either seemed to heavy or too light and not much adjustment .Last year was the second time .When I called Daiwa and ordered them they sent them to me free!! I think the best thing to do is just replace them every few years as everything wears out.