• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

surge brake reverse override problem

ccarlson

Question

I have a ranger trail trailer with surge brakes. The sensor located near the hitch that overrides the surge brakes when you go into reverse works great most of the time. (I have a 5th wire that activiates it as the reverse lights come on.) But I am having problems with the brakes locking up and not allowing me to back up, when I have to back further into the lake than normal to unload or also after driving on wet roads.

Before I replace that actuator, just wondering if this is a common problem in wet conditions. Not sure if the problem comes from the trailer wire harness getting wet or from the actuator itself getting wet. No sense buying a new one if it will do the same thing when it gets wet. Any help would be appreciated.
ccarlson

3 answers to this question

Minneman,
Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and learned a couple things but still they didn't mention anything about it happening only when wet. My solenoid works fine unless wet. Any other input?
ccarlson