• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which rifle to buy?

Big_D

Question

Big D
I have a Browing A-Bolt medallion in 300 WSM. It is a very nice gun. If I were you i would buy one of the new short mags. I think the 30-06 is an outdated caliber. I do still own one too. The 30-06 factory rounds are not what they could be, because of liability reasons with all of the old rifles out there. The price of the shells is not $45. You can get standard winchester 180grains for $20. Federal Premiums are around $25-$30 so the shells are not too high. I my self will probably never buy another standard caliber rifle. The short mags are the ticket in my mind. I also have a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless composite in .260 Remington. I would not purchase this caliber again, but the Ruger is a great gun. The action is a little bit sloppier that the Browning. The price is only around $425-$450 for the Ruger compared to $650 for the Browning. I have a Remington model 7 in 6mm, I am not too fond of the Remington rifles myself. To round out my rifles I have a Savage 110 .243, And a Winchester 670A 30-06. If I were to rank them the Browing would be #1 and the Ruger #2. All of my rifles have Swift scopes on them. Nothing like a lifetime over the county warranty.
Brian

SXViper do you like the Savage? I was looking at Savage also because they are about 225 dollers cheaper than the Browning and they also come in the WSM.

------------------
Big D

Big_D -

I LOVE my Savage 111. Granted, it is not the most attractive gun in my collection, but it is one of the most accurate. I don't worry about dinging it up when hunting like I would my Ruger #1.

The bolt was not glassy smooth at first, but a little clean up and it was fine. Savage give you a dang fine rifle for a very reasonable price.

I spent some time trying different powders and bullets, and I now get sub-MOA groups off of a bench rest. Not bad for a .338 Win mag.

I would buy another Savage in a heartbeat.

Big D

One thing I do when deciding which gun to buy is fit. I close my eyes, mount the gun and aim it, then open my eyes. If the sights are in line, its a good fit. If the sights are pointing at the floor it means you will have to think harder about getting sights aligned. When that big buck trots by your stand you are more likely to make a clean harvest with a good fitting gun. You can also go to a gunsmith to redo the stock. Most guns are made for the mythical average human. Have fun shopping!

lakevet

p.s.take a kid hunting (or gun shopping)