• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting trees / deer damage

I plan to plant the following trees / shrubs in North central Mn, American plum, flowering crab and white cedar. I plan to put cages around the white cedars. Planted these before, uncaged and only 2 or 3 out of 25 made it. Can I put the flowering crab in tubes to help prevent deer damage? If so, what's the best  kind to get? I thought I would just plant the American plum and see what happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by minky

I would always use tree tubes for any hardwoods. If it's small enough to need a tube for protection from deer, rabbits, other... than use the tube. If your putting in the time and money to plant them, you might as well protect them. 

Lots of them are on the market. I have only used one type of tube myself. Tubex- combitudes (spelling?). If you are worried about deer you should get the 5 foot tubes. Since that is about the upper limit of their browsing heights. I've used the fiberglass green stakes from L & M instead of buying the stakes from tree tubes suppliers. The only problems i have had so far is a curious bear, who wanted to chew a few tubes. 

The other thing you should think about talking to your local DNR forester. They can help you to make sure you are planting trees that are correct for your soils. And may be able to help financially to purchase tubes. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/woodlands/cfm-map.html 

Hope this helps,